Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My current book list:

These are going to be read by me. 10 minutes a day equals 10 books are year, according to the host from Urbana. Here they are and why I have chosen them:

1. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. I hate going with the status quo but I feel as if I have put this man's books on hold long enough. It's not even the status quo anymore--people have read at least two or three of his books by now. If I just read one, it wont really count anyway. Lol.

But no, honestly... I usually dont like reading books from white male authors because thats pretty much the prototype I have read from these past 4 years at NWC and it drives me crazy. Not only does it make me personally feel sad, but I know there is some stuff out there that I can read that pertains more to me, RIGHT? Every author comes from their cultural context/pov. White people are cool. I totally enjoy John Stott all the time baby. But I need more influence from the world and not just white males.

NONETHELESS... I can't deny the fact that I am an American, born in the west, and not to mention one of the millions out of this post-modern generation/pool. This author is really good at that (I read the first couple of pages about 2 years ago and knew right away). I am all of the above three. He's not Hmong nor was he raised in North Minneapolis but EH, I can sift out what the differences/perspectives are--not like I havent done that or practiced doing that for the past four years. We are both Christians after all... we much agree on SOMETHING lol....

(Yeah none of that was short--- sorry.)

2. Good news about injustice Gary A. Haugen
Okay, he's another white guy but I think he's more radical so he doesnt count. Also worked in the civil rights division of the U.S. Department of Defense (just read that on the back cover lol). Sounds good to me!!! Lol.

But honestly, I've had this book on my shelf for almost a year. I need to get back in touch with what is going on in the world. I've been spoiling myself like crazy and that equals the desensitizing of my soul and my concerns for others and essentially myself. We are supposed to be the hands and feet of Yexus. This book talks about the truth of injustice... and that "the good news is that God is agaisnt it." HOLLLERRRRRRRRRR.

Oh and look: forward by JOHN STOTT and Donald Miller gives a review/is quoted on the back.... nice. Maybe me and Gary are like Miller and post modern children as well. With our center on Jesus of course ;D....

3. I ain't coming back - Dolphus Weary
"The 1960s, the rural south, poverty, racism... somehow Dolphus managed to escape but Christ called him back."

I need to read this. I have been delaying it for the past 3-4 years. And plus this balances our the whole reading from a different perspective thing. I'm obviously not black and I have never dealt with the issues at the level Dolphus dealt with. Not only that, but man it is so hard to come by some BIBLICAL and SOUND stuff about the issues of racism and oppression. There are those who are extreme and will just speak some language that is not compassionate. Then there are those that make me wonder what kind of God they serve because I dont know if its the one from the Bible...

And anyway!!! Dolphus autographed it for me. How can I not??? :D This is what he wrote me... sigh...:

Will you continue to love God in all you do?

Good question Dolphus... well. These books are hopefully going to encourage, educate, and ultimately mold me to be a person that is more like God, loves God, and continue to love Him.

No comments: