Friday, September 10, 2010

Strength in our weaknesses

Many of us have our own weaknesses. We despair, we have broken families, we are insecure. We may struggle with lust, with impatience, anger, etc. I know I have several weaknesses (fear, perfectionism, compulsive habits) and sometimes it really brings me down. In the midst of my weaknesses sometimes I tend to avoid close friends and become isolated. And then I stray from God. It can get pretty bad.

In our weaknesses, I tend to cross off all other options and start to think that I am the only option to "saving" myself. I won't lay down my pride. It's like I begin to put up a fight, the fight of my life sometimes. But the real problem is that I won't even admit to who/what I'm fighting, and not to mention that it sort of feels like I'm doing it with a blind fold on. As anyone may assume, the fight eventually becomes very draining because there is no end when you don't even know what you're really doing. I eventually doubt and question who I am and wonder: Why am I so weak? Why can't I do this? ...and the circle repeats.

Although things can turn pretty ugly in my own mind, these past couple of days God has been faithful and has reminded me about who He is. Although my faith seems very weak, and although in my weaknesses I seem to be hanging on by the thread, it humbles me when I begin to realize He is my only option of Hope. These past two days He faithfully reminded my of these things:

1. This world's standard or worth is measured by things that are not eternal. But by things that will pass away: wealth, physical beauty, knowledge, etc. Without the right thinking, in my own weaknesses, I tend to degrade myself and ridicule myself, thinking that I am awful, a worthless human being. But when I am reminded about how He created me and that He made me good, I realize that He loves me for who I am. That He measures my worth differently. When He made His creation, He said that it was very good. I am and always will be His creation. Although I have weaknesses, He will still and forever love me. Essentially, He reminded me that I am a part of the bigger image that reflects who He is. My self worth is measured by standards that are eternal. He is good, and because He created me and because I also was made in His image, I am good. I am not a worthless human being according to the standards of this world.

2. Finally the part that humbles me most is: He reminded me that He will never forsake me in my weaknesses. He is a good God, not a God that will abandon us and leave us to "figure it out" on our own (why do you think the Father sent us the Spirit?). He is near, He is "God with us." I am never alone. He is so faithful; He knows us more than we know ourselves, and in our weaknesses He sends us help and does not abandon us. We do not have to draw on our own strength, but we can depend on Him and His amazing strength to provide us with power/strength to endure anything. As He provides us with strength in our weaknesses, He refines us to be stronger. I need to trust Him in my weaknesses because He has my best interest in mind and He will therefore deliver me through. Essentially, because He is good, He is for me, and He will never abandon me in my weaknesses. Instead, He will deliver, strengthen, and refine me.

Here are some verses that the Lord gave me this week (which I'm sure you all know) and that I still need to meditate on:

"If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is" (2 Tim 2:13).

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline"
(2 Tim 1:7).

"'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Cor 12:9-10).

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:4-5).

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matt 28:18-20).

Here are also some amazing lyrics by Kari Jobe that the Holy Spirit has used to remind me of His amazing goodness. These lyrics remind me that in spite of my weaknesses and sin, God remains who He is. He is a good God that will never abandon me. He is faithful and I will persevere. I don't have to be afraid or try to be perfect. And I can have control over my thoughts and my actions. Thank you Jesus!

You Are For Me
So faithful
So constant
So loving and so true
So powerful in all you do
You fill me
You see me
You know my every move
You love for me to sing to you

I know that you are for me
I know that you are for me
I know that you will never forsake me in my weakness
I know that you have come down
Even if to write upon my heart
To remind me who you are


So patient
So gracious
So merciful and true
So wonderful in all you do
You fill me
You see me
You know my every move
You love for me to sing to you

You Are Good
Your kindness leads me to repentance
Your goodness draws me to my knees
Your mercy calls me to be like you
Your favor is my delight

You are good, you are good, you are good
And your mercy is forever

You are good, you are good, you are good
And your mercy is forever
You are good

No comments: